Fast Five: Meet Dr. Karun Singh
Fast 5 features quick, personal profiles of our research team members. This week, it’s Dr. Karun Singh, Senior Scientist, Krembil Research Institute, University Health Network
1. What are you reading right now?
Too many news articles that seem like fiction!
2. What is the most worthwhile non-monetary investment you’ve made?
Build a strong team with people that get along and know how to help themselves and others at the same time (i.e., time management). It’s times like now where this allows everyone to move forward.
3. What advice would you give your younger self?
Don’t get down on yourself when things don’t work out, don’t take it all too seriously, take time to make decisions and it will all work out for the best. Always ask for help, even as a PI.
4. What prompted you to get into regenerative medicine?
I study the brain, so to me it’s always been about “how do we fix such a complicated organ?” It’s still an exciting field because there is so much room to make discoveries.
5. If you could buy one new toy for the lab right now – if money was not an issue – what would you get and why?
I really wish there was an instrument that could do single-cell proteomics similar to what can now be achieved for single-cell RNAseq.